Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMD) is linked to pain or dysfunction in your temporomandibular joints. Your temporomandibular joint connects your jaws to the temporal bones, which are in front of each ear. They’re responsible for the up-and-down and side-to-side movement of our jaws. Technically, they’re the reason we can talk, chew and yawn. TMJ therapy can help alleviate this pain and discomfort.
The causes for TMD are not specific; they can be linked to:
- Incorrect chewing or movement, which affects the way the joints fit together
- Extreme jaw opening or closing
- Grinding or clenching your teeth
- Arthritis in the joint
- Injury to the jaw, head or neck
Symptoms of TMD include the following:
- Severe pain in your face, jaw joints, neck and shoulders
- Pain around your ear when biting or speaking
- Swelling on the side of your face
- Clicking or popping sounds in the jaw joints
- Locking of your jaws in the open or closed position
- Misfit in your upper and lower teeth together, making your chewing and biting uncomfortable.
At Bayview Village Physiotherapy, we understand the discomfort of your TMJ condition. We’ll carefully assess your case and complete the required exams to identify the severity of your disease and we’ll recommend a suitable treatment, accordingly. TMD treatments may vary from very simple home treatment procedures, like keeping your teeth slightly apart at all times, or using heat or cold packs, to, sometimes in severe cases, a surgical procedure. We will make your TMJ Therapy treatment process as smooth, pain-free and as comfortable as possible.
If you’re feeling any discomfort or pain in your face or jaw area, we’ll be able to help you. Don’t wait until the pain is unbearable.
Call us at 647-347-8596, or click here to book an appointment